Job Title: Platform Engineer
Closing Date - 31st of August 2017
Before r̶o̶o̶-̶v̶i̶e̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶e̶-̶r̶o̶o̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶p̶-̶r̶o̶o̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶ reading this job advert, we want you to know that it's intended for you to see how we work, and decide if we're right for you. Research shows that a significant number of people decide not to apply to jobs based on the requirements listed in the advert; if you see something here that you're not expert level or even relatively skilled at... good! You can learn here. It's also best that you aren't brilliant at everything, as we don't hire ninjas or wizards. Other than those, we're very inclusive. If you think Deliveroo could be a great place for you, apply!
Who We Are
We’re in the business of delivering awesome meals into everyone's home or office – fast.
We achieve this by building and running a superb website, suite of mobile apps, a complex logistical platform, a fleet of passionate drivers, and a global operation, all to help bring great food from the world's best-loved local restaurants to consumers with an unparalleled level of convenience. We don’t want people to have to suffer with bad takeaway delivered an age after they order.
We work with hundreds of the UK's best loved restaurants along with renowned local gems such as to enable them to open up a valuable new revenue stream. Our customers are as passionate about great food as we are!
The only thing faster than our deliveries is the growth rate of our company. We’re increasing in business scale and organizational size at a blisteringly fast rate, and keeping it all together and making everything click are at the heart of what make working at Deliveroo a thrilling experience. If you want to make a difference, and you’re passionate about food, come on board and join the ride.
So Why Work For Us?
Training and Development:
We’re all about helping you reach your full potential, and as a business, we never stop learning. We’ll give you a budget for machinery, conferences, books, online courses, and whatever else you need to develop and learn new skills to help keep Deliveroo ahead of the rest.
We’re a global business, so it’s extremely important to us that our team and environment offer a great environment for all types of people. We’re not your average startup bro monoculture.
We encourage each product team to get involved in suggesting the most effective way to get things done. We utilise best practices to make sure everything we do is a collective effort, and we encourage everyone to take an interest of all areas of the business; not a designer, but you’ve thought of a way to more effectively present a map? The design team are all ears! No code monkeys here, it’s all part of the whole “reach your full potential” stuff we mentioned earlier.
Making you comfortable:
Output, not input. It’s not a problem if you need a little leeway in the way you work, in fact if it helps you out, we’re all for it. We’ve got a cycle to work scheme in place, allow for flexible working hours, and are happy for you to work from home on occasion.
If it’s Monday, chances are somebody has baked something delicious over the weekend and brought it in to share with the team. Some of us like sharing our current favourite reads. Some of us like to work out in the park at lunch, some of us prefer to...you know...eat lunch at lunch. Some of us love posting photos of our kids on Workplace. We’re a sociable bunch, and we love to chill out as a team on Friday afternoon Product Huddles after a solid week’s work.
At Deliveroo we’re striving to build London’s best engineering organisation.
Our teams are solving unique and difficult problems at scale in an energetic and hyper-growth environment. We’re growing incredibly quickly, and we need experienced Platform Engineers to help our platform engineering team to innovate and scale.
As a Platform Engineer, you will play a key role within our Product team. We have a "customer-first, live service-first" mindset, and we enable our teams to affect change with speed, ease & confidence. The reliability of our Deliveroo service, innovation in our production platform, and "engineer happiness" in our toolchain are our biggest priorities. You will need excellent software development or systems engineering skills, a passion for solving the problems of our fellow engineers, to enjoy working in a constantly evolving start-up, and steering the strategic direction of crucial functions like service reliability and infrastructure management.
- You'll work in our Platform Engineering team, utilising AGILE best practice
- You'll build platform products and tools and improve existing ones (tech products that is...not meals)
- You'll take part in decisions related to how we undertake new projects
- You'll gather requirements and scope out projects with the rest of the team
- You'll work closely with our fellow engineers, designers, QA and others
- Pride in readable, well-designed, well-tested software OR scripts
- Experience with TDD environments (RSpec, Minitest, Capybara, Selenium)
- Experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and key-value stores (Memcache, Redis)
- 2 or more years professional experience writing web-based applications and a willingness to quickly get up to speed on our stack (Ruby/Rails, Python or Scala)
- 2 or more years professional “DevOps” experience managing toolchains and cloud-based production environments and a willingness to quickly get up to speed on our stack (Ruby/Rails, Python or Scala)
Nice to haves:
- Experience with containerisation and infrastructure management in a large engineering org
- Experience with AWS or Azure clouds and the relevant “DevOps” services and tools
- Experience in designing, analysing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with front-end web technology, bonus points for React
- Experience with web architecture at scale (20krpm and above)
- Experience with PostGIS, or any geography-heavy applications
- Experience with "NoSQL" data backends (Redis, MongoDB, ElasticSearch)
- Experience with Go or Elixir
- Experience with Ruby and/or Rails
- Experience solving logistical problems with software
- Working on an amazing product that is loved and used by millions
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at an incredible pace
- Top end machinery
- Conferences, we're all about professional development
- Subsidised gym membership at a proper fancy gym down the road
- Regular off-sites with the team, as well as game nights, and the legendary “Bun-day Monday”
- Located within easy reach of several incredible restaurants
- Food. So much food. Nom Nom