Senior Data Scientist - Experimentation
Who we are
We’re in the business of delivering awesome meals into everyone's home or office – fast.
We achieve this by building and running a superb website, a suite of mobile apps, a complex logistical platform, a fleet of passionate drivers, and a global operation, all to help bring great food from the world's best-loved local restaurants to consumers with an unparalleled level of convenience. We don’t want people to have to suffer from bad takeaway delivered an age after they order.
We work with hundreds of the UK's best-loved restaurants along with renowned local gems such as to enable them to open up a valuable new revenue stream. Our customers are as passionate about great food as we are!
The only thing faster than our deliveries is the growth rate of our company. We’re increasing in business scale and organisational size at a blisteringly fast rate, and keeping it all together and making everything click are at the heart of what make working at Deliveroo a thrilling experience. If you want to make a difference, and you’re passionate about food, come on board and join the ride.
To ensure our continued success and international growth, we seek experienced researchers to join our interdisciplinary team whose members come from fields such as computer vision, operations research, psychology, cognitive neuroscience, behavioural economics, econometrics, physics, and civil engineering.
Senior Research Scientists at Deliveroo are specialists in advanced experimentation and data analysis techniques. You will have massive impact by driving forward our experiment design and analysis practices, and by quickly and confidently finding actionable, business-relevant stories in rich experiment data.
As a Senior Data Scientist at Deliveroo, you will:
- Bring scientific rigour, entrepreneurial thinking, and a hunger to design and analyse experiments that tell actionable stories with data
- Drive our experiment design forward, finding faster, more sensitive, more interpretable designs and analyses
- Be creative and pragmatic in identifying and quantifying opportunities for big impact across our business
- Translate critical, unstructured questions into testable hypotheses and then actionable answers
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, user researchers, designers, and data scientists
- Collaboratively take us down a path to high-quality automated experiment reporting and automation
Some examples of the problems you might tackle in your new role:
- Work through complex biases in your analysis to reach clear decisions.
- Build a “back of envelope” business case to quantify the potential impact of an unstructured, under-specified idea or opportunity
- Build enhancements to our automated experiment reporting platform
- Influence others in Deliveroo to accelerate and improve their experimentation
- Decide when to answer questions through user research vs analysis vs experimentation
- Masters or PhD in statistics, psychology, neuroscience, econometrics, economics, or other field focusing intensively on statistically rigorous experiment design and analysis
- You care about impact and are constantly seeking the necessary conversations to ensure that you are doing the right data analysis at the right time. You see your job as making that business impact, not completing tasks
- Deep expertise in large-scale digital experimentation, including strong grasp of concepts such as hypothesis testing and standard design and analysis techniques
- Ability to rapidly break complex questions into simple, testable hypotheses
- Ability to communicate the results of a complex analysis in a way that makes it understandable to a non-technical audience
- 5+ years of research, consulting or industry experience
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a product at an incredible pace.
- Conferences and courses; we're all about professional development.
- Machinery of the highest order.
- Subsidised gym membership at a fancy gym down the road.
- Regular off-sites with the team, as well as game nights, and the legendary “Bun-day Monday”.
- Ping-pong table, PS4, dartboard and foosball table as standard office furniture.
- Food. So much food. Nom Nom.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.