Senior Data Scientist
Job Title: Senior Data Scientist
Location: 22-24 Torrington Place, London, WC1E 7HJ
Salary: £70,000 - £130,000 depending on your level
Closing Date: 18th May 2017
Hello, we’re Deliveroo. The Roo logo on the bikes? Yep, that’s us! We’re one of the world’s fastest growing startups, and we’re making huge waves in the restaurant and logistics industries.
Contrary to popular belief, it’s not kangaroo meat in the boxes. It’s quality food from top-notch restaurants like Cocotte, Gaucho, or Busaba. Instead of your local takeaway, we’ll fill your mealtime with the best cuisine, cooked by the best chefs from around the world.
As a Senior Data Scientist at Deliveroo, you will:
- Bring a combination of mathematical and scientific rigour, entrepreneurial thinking, and a hunger to build intelligent machines that drive the company forward
- Learn and develop new techniques
- Translate unstructured, complex business problems into practical, powerful algorithmic solutions
- Design, execute, and analyse live experiments to test what you build
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and designers
Some examples of the problems you might tackle in your new role:
- How can we solve dynamic, stochastic routing problems whose complexity is at or beyond the cutting edge of current theory?
- How do we most effectively combine routing algorithms with demand forecasting models, rider availability models, and restaurant scheduling models?
- How can we most effectively and automatically nudge riders to maximise their earnings while providing a delightful service to our customers?
- How can we dynamically price our service?
Deliveroo is a data-driven organisation:
- The improved algorithms you develop will be A/B tested quickly and rigorously and you will have direct, measurable impact to the bottom line
- PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Mathematics, or related quantitative field
- Entrepreneurial attitude: you care about impact and are constantly seeking the necessary conversations to ensure that you build the right algorithm at the right time. You see your job as making that impact, not completing tasks
- Proven track record of building effective algorithms at industry scale
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Extensive experience with regression and classification modelling in a prediction/control setting, and strong grasp of the associated concepts
- Experience with integer optimisation, time series modelling, recommender systems, and experiment design are all useful
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a product at an incredible pace
- Machinery of the highest order
- Subsidised gym membership at a fancy gym down the road
- Regular off-sites with the team, as well as game nights, and the legendary “Bun-day Monday”
- Ping-pong table, PS4, dartboard and foosball table as standard office furniture
- Food. So much food.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.