The System Administrator is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure, including end-user systems. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual assists end-users in troubleshooting and solving common hardware and software problems. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems and related procedures adhere to organisational values, enabling staff, clients and vendor partners.
This individual is accountable for the following critical applications, such as:
Additional responsibilities include:
System Engineering, Support and Provisioning
1. Engineering technology solutions for various project/operational needs of the organisation.
2. Install new/rebuild existing servers/computers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
3. Install and configure systems such as accounting, collaboration or other business software.
4. Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
5. Contribute to and maintain system standards.
6. Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks.
7. Identify opportunities for effective external hosting of core business applications to provide scalable systems capable of supporting geographically diverse workforce.
Operations and Support
8. Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
9. Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
10. Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
11. Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
12. Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
13. Provide user support, as needed. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
14. Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
15. Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
16. Upgrade and configure system software that supports accounting, messaging and collaboration applications per project or operational needs.
17. Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
18. Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
19. Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
20. Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
Experience, Skills and Education
- Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science. Or, equivalent experience.
- Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Microsoft, desired.
- Strong prioritization skills are necessary.
- Experience working with MS Office 365 and Google Administration
- Strong decision making skills. Judgment errors can affect the organizations operational efficiency.
- No budget responsibility.
- Strong communication skills are necessary. Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues.
- Provides occasional guidance, some of which is technical.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
- Occasional travel required to remote offices and to receive training.
- Top end machinery
- Subsidised gym membership at a proper fancy gym down the road
- Regular game nights, and the legendary “Bun-day Monday”
- Ping-pong table, PS4, dartboard and foosball table as standard office furniture
- Food. So much food. Nom Nom