Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date.
We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global rollouts, like Deliveroo Editions bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food scene, no matter where they live.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out of the box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast paced and blow off steam with free for all Friday lunches.
It’s a formula that’s working too we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 100 cities.
The Category Manager owns the sourcing strategy in key categories (Fit-out, Property and FM) on behalf of the business. This crucial role is responsible for leading commercial negotiations with core suppliers, managing performance and alongside the operational and functional management team, identifying sources of supply. For non-core suppliers/categories the Category Manager acts as a business partner to managers within the organisation advising on best practice, policy, procedures and strategy.
Key responsibilities include:
• Develop sourcing plan by category
• Continuous optimization of commercial terms with key suppliers
• Managing supplier performance
- Category Strategy, Planning & Sourcing
- Selecting Suppliers & Managing Relationships
- Terms Negotiations
- Operational Sourcing
- Central to the Category Managers roles is development of the Sourcing Category Plan for categories under management. This will vary in scale and scope by individual but will encompass
- Developing category plan for sourcing which drives sourcing activity
- Prioritising activity throughout the year to ensure maximum impact for the business
- Monitoring, updating progress and refining where required
- Reviewing opportunities to work cross brand or cross country with other functions/colleagues
- Leading value chain analysis and value engineering on products sourced in conjunctions with colleagues from other teams/functions
- Providing information, insight and support to colleagues to allow for effective planning and reporting in other functional roles including;
- Buying Team: supporting them as they execute the tactical element of the procurement/category plan
- Supply Chain Management/Logistics Partners: Inbound distribution management and planning
- Legal Team: In determining appropriate policies & procedures
- Operations/Sales Team: in determining appropriate selling prices for products sold to customers
- Finance team: Setting appropriate budgets
- Successful supplier relationships require careful management at a number of touch points across the organisation. As the lead for the commercial (core terms) side of the relationship, the Category Manager inevitably leads much of this activity although ownership of the relationship exists equally within the functional structure. This will include;
- Deciding and maintaining in conjunction with functional colleagues a suitable preferred supplier list in each category
- Actively decide and undertake pre-qualification/segmentation of suppliers in accordance with the Category Strategy
- Work with suppliers and appropriate colleagues to recommend (and where appropriate approve) product selection.
- Support new product development opportunities in conjunction with functional/operational colleagues
- Actively managing the performance of suppliers and make decisions guided by the agreed Sourcing Category Plan including;
- Reviewing Supplier performance against agreed metrics
- Resolving major operational issues escalated by colleagues
- The Category Manager is the focus for terms negotiation with suppliers. In many instances this will require the Category Manager to lead major negotiations or alternatively where agreed by the Procurement Director, guide others in negotiating excellent outcomes with suppliers. This will include;
- Negotiating core terms including on and off invoice commercials
- Setting suitable stocking terms to support the businesses distribution strategy
- Optimising lead times to improve availability and reduce working capital requirements
- Whilst this role is primarily strategic in nature there is a requirement to undertake some operational tasks to support the smooth running of the business. These include;
- Resolving major stock issues working with and through the logistics function/partners
- Undertake high value/risk commodity purchases
- Guiding the Buying Team/Finance Team to update key systems with supplier data e.g, ERP
- Managing/resolving other major issues and operational requirements escalated from colleagues e.g.;
- Creditors days
- Rebates payments
- Debt from suppliers
Key skills and other requirements:
- Min 7 years’ experience in a category manager role managing fit-outs, property and FM
- Experience within the tech and / or restaurant industry is a nice-to-have
- Strong analysis skills and good general understanding of business
- Proficient negotiator and deal maker
- Good research skills
- Credible with senior management especially within suppliers
- Able to lead small cross functional groups on multiple assignments
- Become one of the early employees of one of Europe’s fastest growing start-ups, and participate in changing the restaurant industry within a ground-breaking project team
- Have a real impact on the company's growth and evolution
- Work with people who love what they do every day
- Highly subsidised gym membership at one of the top local gyms in the area
- Friday lunches from our very own restaurant partners and regular restaurant sample tastings!
- Competitive marketplace package
- Free Food
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.