Head of Operations - Hong Kong
Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date.
We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global roll-outs, like Deliveroo Editions – bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally-curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food-scene, no matter where they live.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food-inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out-of-the-box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam with free-for-all Friday lunches.
It’s a formula that’s working too – we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 100 cities.
The Operations function is at the heart of the business – we ensure a seamless delivery service for customers, from start to finish. The Operations function also leads our internal logistics function which caters to our 1600+ restaurants (and still expanding) across Hong Kong.
As we continue phenomenal growth, the challenge to operate sustainably becomes ever harder. This senior-level role reporting directly to the GM will have total ownership over one of our most important functions, and will help our markets achieve the step changes required to become the world-leader in food delivery.
Your responsibilities would include:
- Overseeing the front-line operation for Hong Kong – understanding, analysing and driving forward our complex day-to-day logistics to ensure exceptional service levels always
- Leading each component of our operations – whether it be ensuring we have enough riders in the fleet, that supply matches demand, and that riders have all the support that they need
- Using analytics to build a platform that can sustainably scale – understanding what needs to be improved to increase efficiency and effectiveness of the fleet, and what we need to build now for the future
- Designing, building and leading the required operations org structure – while ensuring our local operations departments are coordinated
- Leading the local strategy – understanding the cultural, legal and competitive landscape to ensure we are constantly evolving and innovating to respond to needs; also prioritizing projects within the team and setting timelines to reach goals quickly
- Managing and leading our people – working with the heads of each sub-department and their teams to give them guidance, direction and coaching
- Providing input for product, procurement and other HQ central departments – working with all the supporting departments to ensure both that the Hong Kong market has their needs catered for, and they are coordinated with upcoming changes to product, processes and strategy
- Continuously identifying opportunities for improvement – e.g. improving design of delivery zones for better customer experience, optimizing flow of rider inbound enquiries, reviewing efficiency in fleet staffing, enhancing, communications with rider communities, ensuring watertight and rapid payment etc.
This role demands an analytical, people-centric and entrepreneurial leader with a track-record of managing large teams.
1) You need to have great curiosity – be inquisitive and challenge the status quo.We are looking for a confident critical-thinker that can jump into many different problems and situations and come up with constructive, tactical recommendations.
2) We need someone who is invigorated by delivering impact – and seeing the tangible effects. You need to want to make change now – this is less about creating an incredible strategy that will be implemented over the next 5 years, and more continuous decisions and actions that can change the business.
3) There’s a lot to do, so we need someone who can prioritise and make decisions intelligently using data to direct them.
4) You'll definitely do some number-crunching – it’s important to be able to quickly identify issues, inefficiencies and how big these might be.
Some additional requirements include:
- Strong analytical skills to make data driven decisions for operational and economical improvements
- High level people management skills, must have experience working with people of different backgrounds/cultures
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Exceptional organisational skills and attention to detail
- Confident communication skills for reporting to stakeholders at different levels, ability to influence people across the organisation
- Driven and confident personality, who can keep a cool head in a crisis
- Entrepreneurial mindset and a willingness to get your hands dirty
- Enough stats and excel skills, i.e. to separate the signal from the noise (since so much of what we do is tested against the real world straight away)
- College graduate level candidate - a science/highly analytical degree or background is a bonus
- Having experience with operational or project management, and staffing and hiring on a larger scale is a plus
- Duo-fluency in Cantonese and English is strongly preferred
- Consulting or finance experience from top-tier firms is a plus
- Become one of the key employees of a fast-growing, exciting startup changing the food delivery landscape
- Open, respectful and fun company culture
- BIG Friday lunches – food Deliveroo'd to the office
- Gym and phone subsidies
- Basic health and dental insurance coverage
- Have a real impact on the company’s growth and evolution
- Work with people who love what they do every day