Senior Software Engineer - Web UI
We’d love you to join us!
Hello, we’re Deliveroo. The Roo logo on the bikes? Yep, that’s us! We’re one of the world’s fastest growing startups, and we’re making huge waves in the restaurant and logistics industries.
Contrary to popular belief, it’s not kangaroo meat in the boxes. It’s quality food from top-notch restaurants like Cocotte, Gaucho, or Busaba. Instead of your local takeaway, we’ll fill your mealtime with the best cuisine, cooked by the best chefs from around the world.
What we do
We bring meals of the highest quality, from the restaurant to you, fast. Try it out if you haven’t before. Go to our website or open up our mobile app. You’ll be greeted by an elegant menu, put together by our talented product team. Once you’ve input your location, we’ll provide a curated list of restaurants that will deliver to you. Select your items, choose any modifiers (lemon and herb? Oh, come on!) and we’ll take over. Swap the sloppy joe for a gourmet burger just dripping with all sorts of deliciousness.
How it works
Our brilliant team have helped us build a fantastically complex system that alerts the restaurant to your order, and sends a Roo (that’s what we call them, the lovely people on scooters and bikes) to the restaurant, and then to your location, in an average time of 32 minutes. It’s great for all occasions: a business lunch, entertaining guests (or guest...we won’t tell them you didn’t make it yourself!), or any time where a dodgy smelling leftover kebab just won’t cut it!
- You'll work in a feature driven product team, working closely with Backend & Mobile Developers, Product Designers, Product Managers and QAs, owning a product and being responsible for its success. Whether it's creating an interface to monitor delivery metrics, or one to increase conversion on the consumer website, you'll be making an incredible contribution to our success
- You'll solve real world problems. We're revolutionising the logistics and food industries, making poor quality takeaways a thing of the past. The stuff that goes on in the product team has allowed us to reign supreme in the world of food delivery, and you'll be adding to that
- You'll learn from the very best. Our management team is made up of the crème de la crème from successful companies like Facebook, Twitter, and Hotels.com. Our developers are of the highest calibre, and you can learn more about them by visiting our Engineering Blog
- You'll teach us! Product huddles every two weeks are where you get a chance to show off personal projects, present on a new technology you've become a big fan of, or practice a talk you're planning to present at an upcoming event
- Experience building responsive UIs on the web that are both maintainable and robust
- Knowledge of testing techniques applied to web UIs (for example, Webdriver, WebPageTest)
- A broad knowledge of the web platform as a whole (HTTP, web performance, web security, frameworks)
- Great communication skills and evidence of successful collaboration with designers and backend engineers
- Some knowledge of React and Ruby on Rails, our current web stack
- In depth knowledge of web performance, accessibility or complementary skillsets
- Experience with Google Maps, OpenStreetMaps, or other geography visualisation applications.
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a product at an incredible pace
- Conferences, we're all about professional development, we're proud sponsors of React London 2017!
- Machinery of the highest order
- Subsidised gym membership at a proper fancy gym down the road
- Regular off-sites with the team, as well as game nights, and the legendary “Bun-day Monday”
- Ping-pong table, PS4, dartboard and foosball table as standard office furniture
- Food. So much food. Nom Nom
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.