Senior Data Scientist
Job Title - Senior Data Scientist
Location - London, Cannon Street
Salary - Competitive
Closing Date - 31st of August 2017
Who we are
We’re in the business of delivering awesome meals into everyone's home or office – fast.
We achieve this by building and running a superb website, a suite of mobile apps, a complex logistical platform, a fleet of passionate drivers, and a global operation, all to help bring great food from the world's best-loved local restaurants to consumers with an unparalleled level of convenience. We don’t want people to have to suffer from bad takeaway delivered an age after they order.
We work with hundreds of the UK's best-loved restaurants along with renowned local gems such as to enable them to open up a valuable new revenue stream. Our customers are as passionate about great food as we are!
The only thing faster than our deliveries is the growth rate of our company. We’re increasing in business scale and organisational size at a blisteringly fast rate, and keeping it all together and making everything click are at the heart of what make working at Deliveroo a thrilling experience. If you want to make a difference, and you’re passionate about food, come on board and join the ride.
To ensure our continued success and international growth, we seek experienced researchers to join our interdisciplinary team, with members from fields such as computer vision, operations research, cognitive neuroscience, behavioural economics, econometrics, physics, and civil engineering. Data scientists at Deliveroo collaboratively apply their diverse backgrounds to build sophisticated algorithms that address extremely difficult, mission critical problems, such as dynamic vehicle routing, incentivising our fleet of riders, logistics capacity management, and recommender systems.
As a Senior Data Scientist at Deliveroo, you will:
- Bring a combination of mathematical and scientific rigour, entrepreneurial thinking, and a hunger to build intelligent machines that drive the company forward.
- Learn and develop new techniques.
- Translate unstructured, complex business problems into practical, powerful algorithmic solutions.
- Design, execute, and analyse live experiments to test what you build.
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and designers.
Some examples of the problems you might tackle in your new role:
- How can we solve dynamic, stochastic routing problems whose complexity is at or beyond the cutting edge of current theory?
- How do we most effectively combine routing algorithms with demand forecasting models, rider availability models, and restaurant scheduling models?
- How can we most effectively and automatically nudge riders to maximise their earnings while providing a delightful service to our customers?
- How can we dynamically price our service?
Deliveroo is a data-driven organisation:
- The improved algorithms you develop will be A/B tested quickly and rigorously and you will have direct, measurable impact to the bottom line.
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Vision, Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Econometrics, or related quantitative field.
- Entrepreneurial attitude: you care about impact and are constantly seeking the necessary conversations to ensure that you build the right algorithm at the right time. You see your job as making that impact, not completing tasks.
- Proven track record of building effective algorithms at industry scale.
- 5+ years of industry experience.
- Extensive experience with regression and classification modelling in a prediction/control setting, and strong grasp of the associated concepts.
- Experience with integer optimisation, time series modelling, recommender systems, and experiment design are all useful.
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a product at an incredible pace.
- Conferences and courses; we're all about professional development.
- Machinery of the highest order.
- Subsidised gym membership at a fancy gym down the road.
- Regular off-sites with the team, as well as game nights, and the legendary “Bun-day Monday”.
- Ping-pong table, PS4, dartboard and foosball table as standard office furniture.
- Food. So much food. Nom Nom.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.